Winners for the Streaming Media Readers’ Choice Awards 2017 have now been announced. Representing the online video industry’s shining stars as selected by users, categories ranged from cloud based solutions, like the Live Streaming Platform category, to physical offerings, like Encoding Hardware (Live). This year, IBM Cloud Video took home three awards at the ceremony in the following categories:
– Live Streaming Platform
– End-to-End Workflow Solution
– OTT Platform for MSO and MVPD
For more information on the awards, including our history at them, please read on.
The Watson Media team is thrilled to have received the award for Best OTT TV Technology of the Year at the Content Innovation Awards 2017! It was an honor to attend the event hosted by Digital TV Europe and Television Business International, where over 200 industry experts gathered at the Carlton Hotel in Cannes for a night of thoughtful recognition and inspiration. We are humbled to be among other innovative content producers, broadcasters, platform operators and technology companies, and believe the award is a testament to the value of our services.
As of April 1st, 2017, Ustream’s transition to becoming part of IBM is complete. Ustream was acquired by IBM back in January of 2016, and quickly became one of the pillars of the then newly created IBM Cloud Video business unit. This unit brought together innovations from IBM’s R&D labs, including IBM Watson capabilities, and combined them with cloud-based video technology.
This article explains the future of Ustream as IBM Cloud Video, and outlines the minimized impact to current broadcasters and content owners using the service for either external or internal use cases.
Ustream is part of IBM Cloud Video. After being acquired by IBM in January of 2016, Ustream became one of the pillars that formed the newly created IBM Cloud Video business unit.
The unit brings together innovations from IBM’s R&D labs, including IBM Watson capabilities, and combines them with the cloud-based video platform technology of both Clearleap and Ustream. This offers a variety of solutions for media and entertainment along with uses for enterprises including video marketing and internal video communication.
This article explains the future of streaming video with IBM Cloud Video and Ustream, detailing the relationship between the streaming service and the IBM Cloud Video business unit.
A lot has happen since Ustream joined IBM Cloud Video, and video technology has become the hottest resource in 2016 for both consumers as well as major enterprises. The amount of time spent watching video on digital devices has sky rocketed in the last year, and shows no signs of slowing down. DealCrunch talked with Ustream CEO, Brad Hunstable to learn more about how companies are using live video to engage with consumers, and a preview of how Ustream is integrating with IBM Watson to produce cognitive video insights.
Click here to read the full interview
That’s a wrap, folks! Thank you all for joining Ustream at Streaming Media West 2016. It was a whirlwind of a trip, and we are thrilled to announce that we came home as a Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards winner in 4 categories, some of which are our first year receiving! Thank you to all of our customers for voting. We couldn’t have done it without you:
- Live Streaming Video Platform
- Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards Winner: Ustream – 4th consecutive year: After taking home this award for 4 years running, Ustream is the undisputed champion of live video. Our open platform and affordable solutions are designed to support all of your video needs, from novice to professional.
- Enterprise Video Platform
- Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards Winner: Align – 2nd year in a row: Modern enterprises are turning to live online video as a flexible tool to expand their reach and engagement. So it’s not surprising that organizations agree Ustream Align is custom made for internal communications by keeping your video secure, minimizing the impact on your network, and reducing the need for IT support, making it the perfect internal communication solution for your business.
- Media & Entertainment Video Platform
- Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards Winner: Pro Broadcast – First time award winner: From transcoding to transfer, broadcasters, cable networks and service providers need to be able to get their content where they want it to be. Fast. That’s why Ustream was recognized by Media and Entertainment companies as the must-have tool to help them master their metadata and tame the multi-format challenge with an automated solution.
- End-to-End Workflow Solution
- Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards Winner: Pro Broadcast – First time award winner: Whether it be for entertainment or enterprise, Ustream Pro Broadcast is the premiere full soup-to-nuts video workflow solution. From our professional services and consulting to our reliable network and flexible publishing options, Pro Broadcast let’s you broadcast, record, publish, manage, and measure, all from a single integrated platform.
In addition to stuffing our suitcase full of Readers Choice Awards trophies, we also had the privilege of joining our friends over at Intuit on stage for a LIVE case study panel about best practices for live streaming internal communications. During the discussion, David Martin, Sr. Manager & Solutions Architect at Intuit show us why they turn to the power, scalability and simplicity of Ustream’s cloud-based online video streaming platform for their internal and external communication needs.
And last but not least, thank you for joining us for an evening of beer, wine and snacks and wrapping up your first day at Streaming Media West at the Streaming Media West Happy Hour and Networking Party, hosted by Ustream. It was a pleasure to see you all, and we hope to see you next year!
Ustream, an IBM Company, is an end-to-end solution that organizations can leverage as part of their video strategy. This can be for both external and internal facing assets, which might include marketing activities or corporate communication. Content can range from live broadcasts to on demand video assets. The platform is a global solution, supporting multi-national corporations while also being able to effectively scale to cater video content on a huge, worldwide scale. Because of this level of inherit flexibility, Ustream needs to take into account data privacy laws not just in the United States, but also every country where we store personal data or from which we access personal data.
IBM has prepared an EU Model Clauses agreement for Ustream customers to facilitate the transfer of personal data outside of the EU in accordance with the EU data privacy laws. EU Model Clauses are relevant to all customers sending personal information relating to EU citizens to Ustream.
To request an EU Model Clauses agreement or for any other information or assistance around the transfer of personal data, customers can contact our dedicated EU Model Clauses team via email.
The EU Directive 95/46/EC sets out rules concerning processing of customer’s personal data. As the data controller, customers appoint IBM as a data processor to process (e.g., store, transmit, archive) any personal data which may be included in the customer’s content. In turn, customers are responsible for obtaining all necessary consents to include the content (including any personal data) in IBM Ustream DBaaS solutions.
A list of countries where content may be held or from where content may be accessed for the purpose of delivering and supporting a Cloud Service is available at: www.ibm.com/cloud/datacenters.
Ustream has always been a fan favorite at Streaming Media West, and this year is particularly exciting since we have the privilege of being nominated for one of the highest honors in the online video industry – the 2016 Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards! It is the only awards program in which the winners are decided by video fans like you. We cleared off a new spot on the trophy shelf, but we need your help to take home the crown. Don’t miss your chance to help Ustream keep our winning streak alive and retain the title of being the best video platform in the industry for the sixth year in a row. To cast your vote, visit the 2016 Streaming Media Readers Choice Awards between now and September 26th. This time around, Ustream is up for a total of FIVE categories and we are looking to sweep the competition:
- Live Streaming Video Platform
- After taking home this award for 3 years running, it’s a no brainer that Ustream is the best in the business for live video streaming. Simple enough for beginners, yet powerful enough for professionals, Ustream is the destination for anyone looking to live stream video on the web.
- Enterprise Video Platform
- Ustream Align made its debut early last year and took home the award for the best Enterprise Video Platform. Align is optimized for internal communications, keeping your video secure, minimizing the impact on your network, and reducing the need for IT support making it the perfect internal communication solution for your business.
- Media & Entertainment Video Platform
- Broadcasters, cable networks and service providers need to be able to publish their online video quickly, to any device, at broadcast quality. Ustream’s flexible publishing and syndication options helps them manage the distribution of their content.
- Small/Medium Business Video Platform
- When a business needs a video platform with functionality beyond YouTube, but isn’t looking for a full enterprise or OTT solution, Ustream is the platform they turn to.
- End-to-End Workflow Solution
- Whether it be for entertainment or enterprise, when content owners are looking for a soup-to-nuts video workflow solution that includes professional services and consulting, Ustream is the best choice.
You don’t want to miss Streaming Media West this November as online video experts, producers, media and broadcast executives, content creators, and your streaming media peers come together to learn about all things online video. Streaming Media Magazine is the premier publication for online video experts, producers, broadcast executives and content creators to stay in the loop on the freshest news and latest trends. That’s why being chosen as the best in the business by video fans like you is one of the industry’s highest honors.
Cast your vote from now through September 26th. Streaming Media will announce the top three candidates in each category on October 31 and present the awards at Streaming Media West on November 19th. What are you waiting for? Now is your chance to vote!
When Brad Hunstable created Ustream in 2007 he had a vision to connect people through live online video, and since then Ustream has been on the cutting edge of video technology. Meanwhile over at Clearleap, CEO Braxton Jarratt was developing a way for major media companies to stream their content to their online audience. Jump ahead to current day 2016 and what we’re seeing now is nothing less than another media revolution – and IBM is in the thick of it.
Ustream, along with Clearleap, Aspera & Cleversafe have been brought together to form the IBM Cloud Video Services unit, and the possibilities are endless. Clearleap offers cloud streaming services for companies such as HBO, NFL, Sony Movie Channel, Time Warner Cable and Verizon Communications. Ustream streams video to about 80 million viewers per month for customers including CBS News, PBS NewsHour, NASA and Samsung. The two companies complement each other. Clearleap focuses on the entertainment industry and stored content while Ustream focuses on live video. IBM Cloud Video Services also taps into technology IBM brought into the company through previous acquisitions. In 2014, IBM acquired Aspera, getting hold of technology that speeds large data transfers over broadband networks. Last November, IBM completed the Acquisition of Cleversafe, a developer of software and appliances that enable organizations to quickly store, manage and retrieve unstructured data.
Braxton Jarratt, General Manager, IBM Cloud Video Services believes that when you connect all of these capabilities, you’ve got a complete end-to-end cloud video streaming solution that includes an open platform for third-party developers, digital and visual analytics, and truly global delivery.
Learn more about the future of IBM’s cloud video technology
In 2007, John Ham, Gyula Feher, and I started a small company called Ustream with the vision to help military service members around the world connect through the power of video. As West Point graduates, John and I saw the unique challenges soldiers, sailors and airmen faced while deployed around the world. We teamed up with Dr. Gyula Feher to ultimately build Ustream into what it is today, a leading global video solution provider for live and on demand video.
Today I’m excited to announce the acquisition of Ustream by IBM. This partnership was a natural choice as IBM is expanding its video portfolio offerings and Ustream has distinguished itself as a leader in video solutions for media and enterprises.