Pico rivera, CA
Joined: April 26, 2013
El Rancho first opened in the fall of 1952. Before that time students who lived in Pico and Rivera attended Whittier High School. Seniors elected to remain at Whittier, so El Rancho opened with 9th, 10th, and 11th graders on its 45-acre campus. As the high school was built on land that had previously been used for growing oranges and avocados, the students chose the name Dons as the mascot. This Spanish word can be roughly translated as “gentleman farmer.” The first graduating class was the Class of 1954. The high school was judged one of the most beautiful schools in California during that time. In 1958 Pico and Rivera merged to become a city. In 1962 the two elementary school districts merged to become El Rancho Unified School District. At that time, El Rancho High School broke away from the Whittier Union High School District and became the only high school in our city. The Blue Pride that runs through this school is evident by the number of graduates that have returned to teach. Twenty-eight of our teachers/administrators graduated from El Rancho.