Serious Homesteading is for those who are looking to live the homesteading life, defined as living more independently. This group is for people who want to learn and exchange ideas re: food production,…
Serious Homesteading is for those who are looking to live the homesteading life, defined as living more independently. This group is for people who want to learn and exchange ideas re: food production, food preserving, micro-livestock (smaller than goats), alternative energy, alternative building, alternative transportation, off-grid living and similar subjects.
Achieving independence through food production, advanced gardening methods, proper composting, plant selection, food production methods for city-dwellers and other growing methods such as aeroponics, hydroponics and aquaponics will be the primary topics of discussion. This group is primarily for micro-livestock (nothing larger than a goat and for food). Other topics may include:
· well water, water treatment, septic systems and alternatives to septic systems. If you post water wheels, solar, wind or any method that are alternatives and have good points and bad points, expect vigorous debate on what will work or not work for others.
· composting toilets, bio-gas production, composting heat, dealing with human feces and urine; harvesting methane/bio-gas and CO2 from composted human feces and animals feces.
· alternative building technology from sand bag building, rammed earth, papercrete, underground building, domes and many other methods.
· alternative energy as long as it is applicable to the homesteader.
· beasts of burden, generators, bio-diesel, growing your fuel from everything from switch grass to algae and others.
· off-grid living
What this group will not spiral down to is: an exchange of recipes, how to flower garden (unless flowers are edible), excessive politics, and confusing the green movement with independent living. If someone brings up permaculture, third world appropriate technology, peak-oil or any other ideology, expect a lively discussion/debate on the good and bad parts. Challenging ideas are expected and welcomed, until it gets personal or excessively political.
If you are squeamish and/or cannot take politics out of animals as food, you should probably go elsewhere. Butchering is part of homesteading. Guns and defense are more of a topic for survival sites/groups, so please go elsewhere. If you are easily offended, cannot take criticism or cannot debate your ideas, please go elsewhere. If you cannot stick to the ideas of the group, please go elsewhere.
This group will not allow profanity or discussions of marijuana, cannabis, hemp, false hemp!!! That's right...NO PROFANITY!!! If you consider this censorship, "Sorry!" And, while hemp does have some good properties, it is illegal to grow in the United States (where this group is moderated from). Even if hemp is legal where you live, such discussions will not be tolerated on this group!!! Nothing knowingly illegal in the US will be tolerated here.
This site is moderated in the United States and is in English but there are many users from around the world using translator programs to post or read. Translator programs do not get the grammar correct and do not get the spelling right. People here are also practicing their English while trying to live the self-sufficient lives. This forum is open to all that want to learn and share their ideas as they relate to becoming more self-sufficient.