Jamal Charlton Morris
Sunrise: November 15, 1988
Sunset: April 18, 2016
Jamal Charlton Morris was born on November 15, 1988 in Brooklyn, New York. He was the only beloved son of Hector Charlton Morris and Channabel Latham-Morris.
On April 16, Jamal Morris, 27, an avid cyclist, was riding his bright red Chainboard bicycle near 45th and Market Streets in Philadelphia, when he was struck by a hit-and-run vehicle. He suffered massive head trauma, was taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, where he died two days later.
Jamal graduated from Warwick Valley High School in 2006 and attended Drexel University where he graduated in 2011 with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Jamal attended Mt. Tabor A.M.E. Church in Philadelphia when the late Rev. Martha Lang was the pastor.
Most recently, Jamal, who lived in West Philadelphia, was working as a mechanical engineer in Center City for AMEC Foster Wheeler, an international engineering and project-management firm.
He also worked part time at the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center at the University of Pennsylvania.
Jamal was a wonderful, inspirational, brilliant and a unique person. He was genuine, compassionate, kind and fiercely loyal. He cared deeply about others and was committed to his friends and family. He lived a life full of hope and kindness. His absence is deeply felt by all whom he touched. People gravitated towards him and he made everyone feel important and worthy. He would be remembered by his mantra “It’s Only Getting Better.”
He is survived by his parents, Hector Charlton Morris and Channabel Latham-Morris of Warwick.
• Sister: Natasha Morris-Battle and her husband Roshawn Battle of Brooklyn, New York
• Aunts: Cecelia Cenot, Annette Latham, Kim Morris, Lorna David
• Uncles: Peter Cenot, Chesley Cato, Chester Latham, Berisford Latham, Ben Latham, Franklin Latham, Sonny Latham, Claymont Morris, Brian Morris, Cornel Morris, Dexter Morris, Peter Morris, Shawn Morris
• Niece: Tamara Morris
• Nephew: Tayjohn Morris
• Grandmother: Veronica Cato, Barbados, West Indies
• Godparents: Shirley Clarke, Eloise Jackson, Ken Johnson, Mark Howell
• Cousins: Kaamal Cenot, Carmen DeFlorimente, Jocel Barnwell, Rohan Barnwell, Jazrel Barnwell, Jazarie Alexander, Rosita Spence, Sharon Spence, Akasha Lawrence-Spence, Keyon Spence, Kathy-Ann Spence, Alicia Morris, Dorsey Morris, Nadia Morris, Abosaide Cadogan, Oliver Morris, Ezekiel Morris, Anson Weekes, Martin Weekes, Christopher Weekes, Marvis Halliman, Brenda David, Angela David, Simon David, Kris Latham, Juan Latham, Jennelle Latham, Bryan Latham, Alivia Latham, Des Marie Greenaway, Tiffany Clarke, Stephen Clarke, Shaun Clarke and a hosts of other cousins and friends too numerous to mention.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Jamal’s name should be made to Jamal C. Morris Foundation at http://www.jamalcmorrisfoundation.org or through Bike & Build organization at http://classic.bikeandbuild.org/rider/9136.