Alden from the Ustream Product team here.
Broadcasters, we’ve added three new features to help you control the experience on your channel. All three are live today:
I. Add Moderators to the Social Stream
II. Automatic Player Re-sizing
III. Video mRSS Feeds
I. Social Stream Moderators
Now your chat moderators are also your social stream moderators. In the “Chat and Videos Widget” settings in the Dashboard, you can add moderators. If you’ve already added moderators for your IRC chat, these moderators now work for both your chat and your Social Stream.
Start typing a user name and it will auto-fill. Select a name and it will be added to the list.
Once you’ve added someone as a moderator, all they need to do is:
1. Go to your channel page at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/this-is-my-channel-name
2. Login to their Ustream account
3. Mouse over the messages in your Social Stream.
Upon mouseover, your moderator will see small text links that say “Ban” and “Delete” at the end of each message. Click these to ban a user or delete a message in the social stream. It’s a “silent ban,” so the user who typed the message will continue to see their messages appear, but the messages won’t be visible to anyone else.
II. Player Auto-Resize
Some broadcasters broadcast in 4:3 (squarish, old television aspect ratio) and other broadcasters use 16:9 (widescreen). About a year ago we switched our standard viewer to favor 16:9 widescreen broadcasts, because the majority of broadcasts are done in this aspect ratio. However, there is still a lot of content being produced in 4:3, so this was resulting in a smaller player and black bars on the side. We developed a new smarter player that detects the incoming broadcast and resizes accordingly. The result? No more black bars!
See the before and after below:
Next, we’re working on a feature that will help call the animals to the pond when you’re watching. Release date TBD.
III. mRSS Feed for All Videos / Highlights
- media:content – type, medium, duration, height, width
- media:backLinks — This is the link back to the ustream video/highlight page
- media:player — This is URL to the video page
- media:embed — These are the embed parameters if you want to automatically generate a video player embed
- media:price — This is the price of the video, only included if this is PPV or Subscription content
Well, that’s all for now. We’ve got a few more updates coming to the Social Stream that we’ll talk about later this week!